Don’t forget to check out the last Did you know? -post on hidden app-features!
1. As of January 2021, there were 4.20 billion active users social media and 4.15 billion of them being active users of mobile social media. (Statista)
2. According to Susan Wojcicki, the CEO of YouTube, 500 hours of video is uploaded to YouTube every minute. That means approximately 2564,1 videos per minute, when comparing to the average video length in 2018.
3. YouTube is also the 2nd visited site in the world with google.com being the 1st and facebook.com the 3rd (Visual Capitalist)
4. People use approximately 2,5 hours in social media per day and the country where the most time is spent, is currently Philippines, with over 3 hours of social media a day. (Statista)
5. First hashtag used, was published on Twitter the 23rd of August in 2007, by Chris Messina. So basically we can call him the Founder of Hashtags. This also launched the usage of groups and targeted posts and started spreading from Twitter to other social platforms. (Buffer)
6. First social media site is considered to be SixDegrees.com, which was launched in 1997. Its core purpose is very similar to Facebook, containing profiles, friend lists and more. Its active years were considered to be 1997 to 2001, after when it shut down. It has launched back since then, but I think we can all agree, that the outlook would need a bit of an update. (Hootsuite), (CBS) & (SixDegrees.com)
7. YouTube is the most overlapping platform compared to seven others. The statistics show, that 92.3. % of users who use Facebook, also use YouTube. In comparison, the percent the other way around is only 81.4 %. (Hootsuite)
8. The platforms we use daily have actually been around longer than we often think. TikTok, which is more than 10 years younger than Facebook and 7 years younger than Instagram, is strongly competing for the spot of being the most used app in the world. It is already winning regarding the amount of downloads, from which you can read more here. (Digital Information World), (NY Times) & (Business Insider)