Screenshots come in multiple sizes. Big and small, portrait and landscape, Google Play supports even square. What to do when to do? We’ll we’ve got you covered.
We’ll divide this into two sections, one for Apple iOS and one for Google Play.
If you are keen to understand what sizes and requirements Geeklab has for its App Store and Google Play A/B tests, scroll all the way down ?
Apple iOS Guidelines
With iOS App Store, the screenshots are scaled based on width, and by default, they take ~80% of the product page. Because of this, the layout changes if you upload landscape screenshots compared to portrait screenshots. With landscape shots, your users will also see the description, whereas, with portrait shots, it will take all the space.
You can upload up to three app previews and up to ten screenshots. If your app is the same across multiple device sizes and localisations, provide the highest resolution screenshots required.
You can rearrange the screenshots and app previews when you edit the app record, but app previews will always appear before the screenshots.
Each of the screenshots, icon, and app-preview video has some border-radius, so be sure not to display elements on the sides that you want to make sure are visible for your page visitors.
- ICON – * 512 x512 pixels or 1024 x 1024 pixels, PNG*
- SCREENSHOTS – JPG or PNG format, and in the RGB color space
- iPhone 6.5″ – 1242 x 2688 pixels or 2688 x 1242 pixels
- iPhone 5.5″ – 1242 x 2208 pixels or 2208 x 1242 pixels
- iPad 12.9″ – 2048 x 2732 pixels or 2732 x 2048 pixels
- Optional – iPhone 5.8″ – 1125 x 2436 pixels or 2436 x 1125 pixels
- Optional – iPhone 4.7″ – 750 x 1334 pixels or 1334 x 750 pixels
- Optional – iPhone 4″ – 640 x 1136 pixels or 1136 x 640 pixels
- Optional – iPhone 3.5″ – 640 x 960 pixels or 960 x 640 pixels
- Optional – iPad 11″ – 1668 x 2388 pixels or 2388 x 1668 pixels
- Optional – iPad 10.5″ – 1668 x 2224 pixels or 2224 x 1668 pixels
- Optional – iPad 9.7″ – 1536 x 2048 pixels or 1536 x 2048 pixels
- * APP-PREVIEWS – M4V, MP4, or MOV format and can’t exceed 500 MB – Size needs to match the screenshots.
- NAME – MAX 30 characters.
- SUBTITLE – MAX 30 characters.
- WHAT’S NEW TEXT – MAX 4000 characters. It appears at the bottom of the page for new users. Top of the page for the ones that have installed your app at some point of time.
- PROMOTIONAL TEXT – MAX 170 characters. Appears above the description
- DESCRIPTION – MAX 4000 characters.
Other hacks and things:
Apps may display customized icons, for example, to reflect a sports team preference, provided that the user initiates each change. The app includes settings to revert to the original icon. All icon variants must relate to the app’s content, and changes should be consistent across all system assets, so that the icons displayed in Settings, Notifications, etc. match the new springboard icon. This feature may not be used for dynamic, automatic, or serial changes, such as to reflect up-to-date weather information, calendar notifications, etc.
Closer Look Video
With portrait screenshots, you can still upload a landscape video as long as the aspect ratio matches the screenshots. If you do this, you will unlock a “Closer Look” video that will be displayed on the search and below your description on your product page.
Google Play Guidelines
With Google Play Store, the screenshots get scaled by height. Regardless of the aspect ratio of the images, the page layout won’t change.
You can upload up to 8 screenshots for each device (Phone, 7″ tablet, and 10″ tablet.). A minimum of 1 screenshot is required.
The app-preview video for Google Play is an embedded YouTube video. Keep in mind that the title of the video and the account that has uploaded the video will be visible to all the users.
- ICON – JPEG or 32-bit PNG, 512 x 512 pixels, Up to 1 MB
- SCREENSHOTS – JPEG or 24-bit PNG (not transparent),Up to 8 MB
- Phone” – Between 320 px and 3,840 px
- 7″ Tablet” – Between 320 px and 3,840 px
- 10″ Tablet” – Between 320 px and 3,840 px
- * APP-PREVIEWS – Embedded YouTube video, so you’ll need to provide just the URL.
- NAME – MAX 50 characters.
- SHORT DESCRIPTION – MAX 80 characters. Appears above the description
- FULL DESCRIPTION – MAX 4000 characters. Supports html formatting
Other hacks and things:
Tablet screenshots are optional, and if you upload them, they will also be visible on the phone store listing. It is a double-edged sword as it is required to have tablet shots if you want to get featured on the “Designed for tablets” section for Google Play, but at the same time, it is a horrible user experience to have eight screenshots repeat themselves three times.
We wanted to make it extremely easy for you to set up your campaigns. We use a content delivery network and automatically compress your images to ensure that the sites load up at lightning-fast speed. Because of this, we do not have ANY size or format limitations on the visuals, however, we appreciate if you do not upload 10mb images so that we can keep on having our pricing plans at a low cost. ❤️
The aspect ratio is the only requirement we have; it needs to be 1×1. We support any dimension as long as the image is square.
Recommended size: 1024 x 1024 pixels, JPG or PNG
The only requirement is the aspect ratio and orientation between the screenshots. The first screenshot will determine which aspect ratio and orientation will we required for the rest of the images. We support up to 10 screenshots and require a minimum of 2.
If you want to target specific devices, we recommend following the device-specific guidelines shared above. If you don’t want to target only one device type, our recommendation is to use the specs shared below ?
iPhone: 1242 x 2688 pixels or 2688 x 1242 pixels, JPG or PNG
Google Play: min pixel size for each dimension: 500px, JPG or PNG